Thursday, November 15, 2012

On being a Mom

   What happens if we view being a Mommy as a privilege and not a grind?  What if we begin to see the daily maintenance work we do (that perpetually gets UN-done) is not meaningless but in the end really does matter?

   I am at a different place in my Mommy life now. With our youngest two turning 12 soon, it is still sometimes strange to me to not be totally exhausted at the end of every day and covered in either playdough remnants or the last meal I fixed or spilled milk.  As much work as those days were, they are so precious to me. Because I tried my best (and many days failed) to make each day important. Because I tried like a crazy woman not to lose my temper or use my words in a hurtful way, I look back on those days with gentle pride at a huge effort fairly well done.  

   At the time they were all young, I remember thinking I wanted to be able to look back and be proud not regretful of my vocation.  I was blessed with several older women who shared how important the days with all the children young and at home were. I tried to keep their words in front of me even on the days nothing went right. One gal in particular who had successfully raised a family of 9, once told me how damaging it is to yell at children. She said when I was angry my voice should get more and more quiet and they would listen. Do you know that works???  

    We had 8 children in 14 years and lost 8 to miscarriage.  I am so proud of the size of our brood! I know some will gag when they read that but it was our goal. It was a need, a want, a sacrifice, a vocation from God that we have a large family and I was always continually thankful because I am an only child !!  Yes, an only child.  When the kids were little I recall sort of looking into my life from the outside thinking how cool it was, this big, huge, loud family!  It was so foreign to my upbringing. How did I even know what I was doing?  Don't have a clue.  God knew. God blessed us with this huge family and we have a lovely, loud, boy heavy gang.  Our poor girls have lived with 7 males for a long time.  No man bashing here but that is quite a feat you know.

   We have had so many forts built, trees climbed, bones broken, Legos scattered, toilets clogged, and everything else that you might imagine in a large family....but it has been cool!!  I had no brothers. Watching my boys build blanket forts, make creative costumes, use anything and everything for a sword, amazed me. It was just cool!  The girls are both girly girls and always had home made dresses and cute hair with bows and ribbons.  No wonder I was a picture taking fool...still am.

    I want the world to start recognizing how incredibly important stay at home Moms are.  How did that change in such a short time?  How did such a high calling fall to the ground with a thud in the eyes of the world?  Maybe that's the issue....the eyes of the world.  How's it going out there?  Not so hot.  It will only change from within the family. By warm, loving, disciplined, sacrificial families who know God is in charge. 

   All you Mommas out there who work your tails off every day and night are awesome. You are the future because what you teach your kids, how you model goodness and yes holiness, is how the craziness is going to get better.  You have to persevere when you feel your education is being "wasted", when others think what you do isn't valuable because there isn't a paycheck, when you can't dress in the latest fashions because you are just happy to have gotten your underwear on straight!  You are one of the two most important people in your children's lives. You are the hero, the safety net, the party coordinator, the driver, the nurse, the chef, the story reader and the pillow for a sleeping child. You are everything to your children, you are important. 

   Try and sit back every once in a while and just watch them. Watch them be kids. Take a million and one pictures. Create a journal if your kids are older. Do what you have to, to create and keep memories of this wonderfully hard time :)

It's priceless.

Love ya Mommas~
Lisa



1 comment: