Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things

I want to share some of the things I find helpful or important or just cute. There is no rhyme or reason to this list as there is no rhyme or reason to my thinking these days... ahem.

TeuxDeux www.teuxdeux.com If you like lists...and I LOVE lists....I have a simple, easy one for you. It's online and the reason it's a fav is because it doesn't have complicated colors or boxes or times. It's simply a list of to dos you can check off and whatever is left undone pops into the next day. This is seriously helpful to me. I have lists of my lists and since my various brain surgeries, my brain is mush. I have to remind myself to remind myself. Then I forget to look at the list to remind myself to look at the list....you get the gist. This online list can't get lost, can be printed off if you have a full day and is there for tomorrow when the day doesn't go exactly as you planned and only one thing gets accomplished on the blasted list!

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emergen-C www.emergenc.com Great stuff. I've been drinking this vitamin fizzy drink for 20 years and am rarely sick! When the kids start to get a cold I'll have them drink a couple of these a day and many times it will stop the cold in it's tracks.Years ago it had to be ordered directly from the company but now it's everywhere in local grocery stores, WalMart and drug stores. It comes in many flavors and types. Look it up and give it a try for a healthy winter this year.

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Need a couple suggestions for donating money??

Make-A-Wish is an awesome, awesome charity to send your money to with very little in administrative costs because of the huge amount of volunteers. We have been the recipients of more than one wish and I cannot tell you what it has meant to us. When you spend most of your life in the medical realm, to go on a vacation like a normal family with no thought of the details is just amazing. We were normal for that week....priceless. They made the Wish Child feel so special and it gave them something to look forward to when they were in the hospital and intensive care with multiple surgeries. We recently raised just a bit over $2,000.00 for Make-A-Wish but wished it had been much more.



Give Kids the World www.GKTW.org is a resort for sick children and their families. They partner with Make-A-Wish and many, many other organizations. This is the most special place on the planet folks. We have been there twice and they were the two happiest weeks we have ever had. The story of GKTW pulls at the heart strings with a beginning at the Holocaust. Check out their website for more!



Children's Hospitals We happen to practically live at Seattle Children's Hospital but any of the hospitals in the Children's Network need your support. We get tremendous help from them. Even with great insurance our medical costs are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. They make sure no child goes without medical care because of financial reasons. When you see those paper balloons up at your local Costco or WalMart or any business....please give. You directly change the lives of children.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miracle Flights for Kids www.miracleflights.org/   This organization is awesome. It flies kids and thier parents all over the U.S. for medical care.  We have used them many times and couldn't give our children the level of care they require without these great folks!  They also fly adults and took care of us during my last surgery in NYC.



                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TOMS www.toms.com My favorite new shoes ! I have both the black and pink sparkle TOMS as a gift from my fashion guru Mom and I love, love, love them! They are playful, comfortable and a child in another country gets a free pair of shoes when you buy yours. Recently my Mom sent me the black canvas TOMS with gold threading woven in them. They are lovely.

                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


FreeRice www.freerice.com This is a site for drilling in various school subjects. The kids love it and it's addictive in a good sort of way. There are multiple subjects like grammar, spelling, anatomy, etc. For each correct answer rice is donated by sponsors to hungry folks in other countries. I like that.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teaching Textbooks www.teachingtextbooks.com THE most awesome math curriculum EVER. I am in my 23rd year of homeschooling and this is the best program I have seen. My kids love it and learn very well with their methods. The program allows them to go back and listen to the lecture as many times as they need to to understand it. It also walks them through each problem they miss so they really understand the concept. The perk for Mom??? It grades everything and keeps a grade book....YEAH !! Check out their website and see what you think.

                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's all for now. Amen.

Blessings~
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment