Saturday, November 17, 2012

I think I have a chef...

My son Bobby is a blooming chef.  If I am in the kitchen he is in the kitchen.  I decided to write this momentous post because this is the kid who loves to stay home instead of going anywhere....ever.  He is just our homebody. These two unrelated facts will make sense later.

At our house Saturday morning is always pancake morning.  I make homemade pancakes on the griddle. Not the stuff out of the bag....the kids will not eat that stuff, I do not know why.  I have tried to trick them on multiple occasions but as soon as the first bite hits their mouth all eyes are on me. Sheesh.  So one Saturday morn Bobby comes and asks if he can help me !  I was thrilled. I let him measure out all the ingredients and stir. 






Week after week he'd ask to do one more thing until he now makes the pancakes as well as our home made waffles on Sunday!!  Then one evening as I was planning dinner he saunters in and asks if he can make our home made spaghetti sauce! Really?  You're an 11yr old boy !  Okie dokie...and he was awesome.  Now tacos are on his menu as well.

Letting the kids in the kitchen has always been a tradition in our family. My mom always let me try to cook and bake and so did my favorite friend Rita. She was my Mom's best friend from the country, and I was just a kid but she made me feel I was important and grown up. Both felt kids should learn to be in the kitchen regardless of the annoyance it might be, the mess that might be made or the sometimes sketchy results.  I am thankful for this, so it was natural for me to have my children follow the same tradition.

All of our children can cook.  It was just lovely and nice until it became needed.  With several pregnancies spent on bedrest (actually I called it couch jail) and then brain surgery and then another, these kids kept the house going for extended periods. And they did it well. Dad had to go to work and there were many children here that needed 3 meals a day.  My children were absolutely awesome and we made schedules of who was making what on what days.  They also did all the chores, laundry and helped with school work.  I soon learned that what was a nice tradition was a vital skill in a world that values other things.  This house went liked clockwork during more than one difficult time. 

Back to the chef.  This fine Saturday morning, the boy who never wants to go anywhere asks if WE are going grocery shopping today for Thanksgiving.   He was beaming and wanted to know exactly when we were going.  I just love it!!  I don't know why but it has made my day.  Normally he stays at the house when I go or I have to insist he go.  I'm not sure what has inspired this adventurous change.

I have to hurry and get my shower while Bob makes the pancake batter then we'll get breakfast going and off to the store....


~Blessings~
Lisa


1 comment: