Sunday, August 4, 2013

Boundaries

I have had a tough week....a very tough week.  This week has been the roughest week since the three week span in which we had three brain surgeries on three of us earlier this year.

Among a long and distinguished list of diseases I already have, another was added. This is not such a huge deal but the medicines for it certainly are. They are not benign drugs. In many ways they do more harm than the disease but there is no choice so they must be taken.  I have had to set up some boundaries so I can get through the several month period of adjustment to the meds. This makes me crazy because I want to just keep going, but this old body cannot push through this. The extreme fatigue, nausea, insomnia, brain fog, balance problems, and on and on will be here awhile plus there is a new cardiology problem that won't be ignored, so I have to rearrange life to run my large family.
Boundaries.

We have our first wedding coming and it is a wonderful, joyful, happy, busy occasion but with my health, my lovely husband has put boundaries on it for me. Blah....I don't want boundaries. I want to plan and plan and plan and make lists and more lists. He knows me though, and he knows I don't have the strength or stamina to do it right now so I have to enjoy watching the kids do it. 
Boundaries.
When I was growing up my mom worked for psychologists.  I learned about boundaries on behaviour early on. They are very, very important for our well being on many levels. They help us to be safe emotionally, physically and psychologically.  They give us space to think and to act appropriately.  They keep us safe after acting. Even Scripture has many, many passages on boundaries.

It's not always easy to recognize their need and they can also be difficult to construct. If you are a person who struggles with confrontation it may be difficult for you to put boundaries on other's treatment of you. There are many books, lectures, etc out there on this subject. Pick one up. Pick up a Bible and browse through the Psalms. When you learn to use boundaries there is far more peace in your life. Even when peace is disturbed, boundaries bring it back rapidly when you act to to put them up. 

Boundaries help you organize your life
Boundaries help stay calm
Boundaries help you control anger
Boundaries can help control other's anger
Boundaries help you protect yourself from those who would harm you over and over
Boundaries help you manage your time
Boundaries help you have self control
Boundaries help you help others
Boundaries help you not to be taken advantage of

The list is endless.

We have a ridiculous legal situation going on that is taking time and brain space. It is a sad spectacle of untruths and money grabbing. People suffer in this life. Everyone will suffer at some point or for long periods. Sometimes God allows it from medical reasons, a death, sometimes from accidents. Why should one get paid many thousands for so - called "pain and suffering" for one type of suffering and not the other?? A pretty profound question don't you think?? I'd like to ask that question of the many families we have lived with at Ronald McDonald House whose children suffer daily who will NEVER be paid for their pain and suffering.  Geez.....  Don't even get me started on THAT one.
Those who get paid for pain and suffering need to learn some serious Boundaries.

My tough week I hope is almost over. I have regained my peace because of God, my boundaries and because my huge family of children and their fiance's and girlfriends and my wonderful husband have come to my emotional rescue. They have been there for the difficult physical/medical week for my meltdowns and we have also laughed like crazy. They are my knights in shining armor!
~Blessings~
Lisa


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete