Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Our Favorite Granola

Easily 20 years ago my friend Mary gave me her granola recipe. It is the only granola my kids both young and old will eat. I thought I'd share it with you because it's so easy and yummy.
8 c. oatmeal  480g carbs
1c.  wheatgerm (toasted) 48g
1c.  sunflower seeds  28g
1c.  sugar (198g) or Splenda
2 Tbls. cinnamon  12g
1c. vegetable or coconut oil
3/4 c. honey  210g
*In a large mixing bowl, mix the 5 above dry ingredients.
*In a saucepan mix the oil and honey and heat until boiling and you see a foam.
*Remove oil/honey from heat and pour over dry mixture and mix thoroughly until all the oats look damp.
*Pour into 2 large cookie sheets and bake at 325 for 13 minutes then turn granola over and put back in an additional 13 minutes.
*Let cool then place in airtight container.
*add raisins, nuts, dried cranberries anything you like
1c. = 35g carbs