Monday, May 20, 2013

Modesty ~ Top 12 reasons I Love Dresses

   Modesty. That word can conjure up totally opposite points of view on it's definition.  Modesty is a big deal at our house. Oh, not in the sense that we obsess about it or have "rules" or "make" our girls wear dresses but it is a way of being for both girls and boys.

   Many, many years ago I decided I liked skirts and dresses more than pants. There were a variety of reasons, comfort being one of them, I do not like feeling bound by pants....it bugs me.  I have always been a foof...you know, a girlie girl. I have never been a tomboy, never played sports, blah, blah, blah. Being able to wear dresses and skirts all the time was a treat to me.

My opinions have also been formed by the men in my life....7 to be exact. I have a husband and 6 sons.

   Do I think ladies who choose to wear pants are deficient in some way? Nope. Do I pass a judgment on those who wear pants? Nope, it doesn't even occur to me.  I do have opinions and strong ones, but they don't apply to others, only myself.  It is funny though; when new friends or acquaintances ask why I do not wear pants they almost always make some sort of excuse as if I care. It's very funny. This is the identical phenomenon when folks learn we have 8 children. Inevitably we hear why they wanted more but couldn't have them or tell us why they only have 1 or 2 or something of that nature. 

   Here are some thoughts regarding modesty....

1. It's pretty. Pure and simple. Pretty.

2. I feel like a girl, like a Mommy, like a Wife when I am dressed traditionally.

3. It takes many pounds off wearing a skirt or dress. (Really good reason!)

4. I get compliments constantly....and many from men. Now mind you, I am not thin, beautiful or blond. But I get compliments wherever I go because of my mode of dress.

5. I feel like I can speak to men in a way that they feel at ease. They are not having to avert their gaze because of too much showing, they cannot see every line of my undergarments when I walk away. I feel like I am not adding to the constant temptation of men in the times in which we live. I am safe.

6.  Little girls say all the time, "LOOK...A Princess"! It is so sweet and lovely.

7.  I love how a full skirt swishes around my legs. I feel like a GIRL.

8.  It reminds me to behave like a lady because I look like one.

9.  I believe the parts of me I choose to cover belong to my husband.

10.  I love how our girls look...feminine.  We never made them wear skirts and in fact bought jeans and stretch pants when they were little but they wouldn't wear them.

11. I love how our sons have chosen modest girls. It warms our hearts that they see what is inside and that the girls know how sacred their bodies are.

12.  As a Christian I believe it says something. My mode of dress is an expression of my character.
          Note: I do not think someone is "bad" for wearing pants.

   I asked a famous and wonderful priest one time what modesty meant. He said it is something subjective because of traditions in a country or region. What I believe it means is respect....real respect for oneself and the protection of men.  I know, I know, I don't want to hear the whole feminist rhetoric of ,"They need to control themselves, they need to just get over it, etc."  Of course every man must assume responsibility for himself....However, if you think I am going to babysit your chocolate cake and there won't be some gone.......uhhhhh, need I say more?
We bear some responsibility for our fellow human beings temptation wise.  I would never offer a drink to a friend with alcohol problems and I am not going to offer body parts to any man who these days, through no fault of his own is over saturated with women in tight or no clothes. It matters to me. 

~Blessings~
      Lisa

  

No comments:

Post a Comment