Thursday, May 23, 2013

1,2,3,4,5..... Yes, They're ALL Ours.

I could write a book on what I have learned having 8 children. I decided it's confession time and I want to tell you about a time of bad manners, judgment and an apology.......

When Ed and I were expecting our twins, numbers 7 & 8, we were out shopping with all the kids (I had been on months of bed rest so was illegally up). A young couple was staring at us and with fingers bobbing up and down and silently mouthing/counting how many children we had.  This was not uncommon anywhere we went even though the kids were well behaved. It was simply the number that attracted attention.

I was having a hormonal, over protective , grumpy day and I said very loudly," SIX there are SIX, and more on the way!" I huffed off, shaking my head, feeling very angry at having to defend a family no one except my husband and God had to provide for. 
Not a pretty moment.

Now, this is definitely not my normal reaction to even the rudest people. It is quite the opposite, very unusual. Even my poor husband was shocked and said nothing as I walked away.  I am normally Little Miss Manners, attempting to show how wonderful a large family is. Occasionally, when I receive a rude comment, I give some sly, sweet, tongue in cheek answer that may slap someone in the face, but they wouldn't know it until 5 minutes later with a puzzled look on their face. But still, delivered with honey!

Only minutes after my rude outburst I walked quickly (well as quickly as a mother pregnant with twins can walk!) to find them. I apologized profusely and they broke into huge smiles, telling me they were newlyweds and were both from large families and couldn't wait to have as many as we had.
Mea Culpa.  Big Time.

Bad person alert.

Jerk of the year.

Crazy pregnant woman. 

Ill mannered, ill tempered wench. 

You name it, I felt it.

This encounter shows-to-go-ya we do not know what folks are thinking when we are noticed out in public (which is constant). The reactions have been super varied over the years and they are quite different in different regions of the country. In a nutshell (with exceptions), on the west coast, children are a liability to the green attitude. You know, making our carbon footprint waaaaaay too deep.  Whatever. We use and reuse things far more than most folks.

On the east coast, in particular New York City, big families are far more appreciated.  We have never had a negative comment in NYC, on the contrary almost everyone says, "Well, God bless you!! Big families are a blessing!". That still surprises me because I always thought New Yorkers were more material oriented. Nope. They are family folks big time. Much better reactions out of New Yorkers than anywhere we've ever been. No wonder we love New York!
So, I was a judgmental jerk and it taught me a valuable lesson. Thankfully that couple was so kind and warm hearted!

Okay, that is my 1,2,3,4....now there are EIGHT confession.

~Blessings~
 Lisa


1 comment: