Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sometimes Less is More

You know, we live in a word saturated society. With technology booming, the word is flying fast and furious......many times with no restraint. 

I have used a lot of words in the last month on this medical trip. I have also held back many. I've learned from many years of experience and many mistakes how to try and hold my tongue in the proper circumstances. Do I always succeed at this endeavor ?  Ummmm  NO.  But I do try, and I get better and better at it as I age. 

We don't always have to say everything that comes into our brains. This is the problem of a whole generation born into technology but it is also a problem of those of us who are outgoing, extroverted, helpful or just plain talkative.  It's an impulse, a drive, a compulsion for some of us; one that must be controlled if we are not to hurt or even overwhelm others. 

I have in the past looked up in Scripture, the different passages that have to do with too many words. Oh boy is that enlightening...and frightening.  I have a big mouth and have had since I can remember. My kindergarten report card said I had diarrhea of the mouth....really?? Yes, really.  I have battled it all my life. It's why people like me....and why they don't. I am blessed with the gift of gab but have had to learn over many years how that gift affects others for the good or the bad. 

Do I encourage, lift up, support others? 
Do I tell the truth?
Do I share, in the hopes of helping someone?
Do I have someone's good in mind when I speak?
Do I say too much?
Do I speak beyond what I know about?
Do I take over with my speech?
Do I let pride speak ahead of my knowledge?
Do I let others speak? 
Do I know when NOT to speak?    (Probably the most important question)

There are times when NOT saying things is a huge blessing. There are stories that don't need to be told, opinions better kept to oneself, judgments better left unmade.  How often do I ask myself, "Should I have kept that to myself"?   Probably not enough, but I am trying.  I see that most of the time when it happens that I have failed, Pride is at the root. I think I know everything so I must share my infinite wisdom.....blah!  It's pitiful really....I hate it.  I am always sorry when I see this in myself and it reminds me of something a wonderful priest told me once. "Words are like the feathers of a pillow. If you go to the top of a steeple, cut open a feather pillow what happens"?  Yes, getting our words back after speaking them is much like trying to get all those feathers back from the wind.....impossible.

I guess I am writing about this because I have felt good about most of my speech on this trip. I have tried super hard.  I have used the gift of gab hopefully for the good of others. I have also had to hold my tongue....many times. For once I can say I have succeeded about 90% of the time. However, the trip isn't over yet, neither is the stress, neither is Original Sin and it's effects.  Pray for me, pray that I can keep going and not get in trouble!!  It is Lent after all and I know falling on my face is a huge possibility.

~Lent Blessings~
      Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Did you write this for you, or me!? I can so relate to the diarrhea of the mouth. I will be praying, for both of us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I just love you Tami!! Your gift of gab is a real blessing.

    ReplyDelete