Saturday, November 2, 2013

Our Thankful Tree





I just got back from yet another surgery, this one being an emergency for my brain shunt and having to fly across country to NYC with 24 hours notice. We were able to do it so quickly because of the generous donated help of others. That's why there have been no posts. This post is important to me and I want your help to spread it around because I am feeling very blessed and thankful.

I am doing a post on just our Thankful Tree today because in the past it has been intertwined with my Fall posts. I think it's so special that I want it to stand on it's own. Everyone who comes into the house always comments on it or wants to join in so I really want to get the Tradition out there. It is so darn simple, inexpensive and a really special gift to give others.  

Because I think we are living in a time where the spirit or even habit of being thankful is a bit lacking, I am going to try and spread this all over the web and I hope you do too. I really am convinced being thankful, grateful, seeing things as a gift is one of the keys to happiness, so please share this in whatever way you can. Here goes....

1.  I get one of those Dollar Tree clear vases that has a bottom heavy base.

2. Also at the Dollar Tree or any craft store I get 2 bags of those nice little glass or real rocks.  You can make this as natural or fancy as you like (i.e silver painted stones or real stones)

 3.  For branches, look in your yard, take a walk and find some interesting looking ones or if you're looking for a high end look, any craft store has all kinds of branches to buy. 

  4. Snuggle as many as you think look good down into your vase filled with rocks.  Make sure the branches you get have little tiny arms coming out from the main stem so you have lots of places to hang the leaves. 

 5. Next, cut out of construction paper, yellow, red, orange and brown leaves large enough to write on.  Now punch holes in them at one end and tie a circle of gold or brown yarn. I leave a bit of tail on the ties as they look woodsy.  The kids really enjoy helping with this. 

  6.  I put a pretty bowl of blank leaves on the dining table next to the tree and a pen. 

 We invite guests to add to it too. On Thanksgiving everyone reads them. Of course no one waits until then, everyday everyone checks to see who wrote what (and in my home of 6 boys they have to give each other a hard time about what they write....I've been blessed with sons....sigh)!   Guests always go to the tree and start reading. It says a lot to see that kids and families are thankful. People just love it. It makes their day. We as a nation, a family, a couple, or as a person need to start being thankful again even if we have little or are going through hard times....there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for and this little tree reminds us of that.

Find variations of your own but MAKE ONE, you'll love it and it makes Thanksgiving and the whole month leading up to it very special.  It's also a lovely and easy gift to give especially to someone going through a rough time. Buy the few things needed which is only a couple dollars, do all the cutting and tying, get the branches in the vase and give it to a family to get started. 
Voila!

This picture does not do the tree justice and this was one of our more pitiful ones because of a hard medical year, but it really is lovely in person and you can make it beautiful!



This leaf shows one of the children who wrote Make~A~Wish! They write all of their doctor's names, their Grandparents, their favorite priests, that they have food and a house, for their Hotwheels cars, there are wonderful, warm things, funny things, crazy things. It's really fun.  I have kept every single leaf for every single year. I have them all they are priceless.

May you have a blessed and thankful November.

~Blessings~
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment