Friday, March 15, 2013

Oh Happy Day

I cannot sing but "Ohhhh Happy Da-ay, Oh Happy Da-ay".  Okay I'll stop for now. It isn't pretty. It is a happy day for some strange reasons.  Our son has had some complications and has, after having a spinal tap on Monday had a horrendous spinal fluid leak which has caused considerable angst....is that how you spell that...angst?   We are currently sitting here in the NSLIJ Emergency Room in NY after having a spinal blood patch (after having brain surgery just a week or so ago).  These are my thoughts in list form because writing is just not going to work today.

1.  I am thankful everyone here is so lovely.

2. I am thankful my kid who normally has sensory issues and gets quite anxious about new procedures, was absolutely amazing...I mean amazing. I know, I know, I'm his mother and therefore prejudiced....but he really WAS AMAZING. 

3. Having a long, large needle in your spine is just yukky.

4. I am, for some reason feeling better about being here for....drum roll please.....8 weeks this Saturday. Two stinkin' months away from my wonderful home in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I had been sad about it for the past couple days but now after my little guy leapt tall buildings, things seem brighter.  It's good for a mother when her child can leap tall buildings in a single bound!

5. I think even though it's Friday and even though it's Lent, I am buying my children cheese pizza for dinner because of said buildings being leapt.

6. I have learned for the umpteenth time in the last 2 months that attitude is everything. I mean I knew this before these 2 months in NYC but today it was brought home to roost again and I am thankful!  The way one goes into a medical procedure psychologically, directly affects the procedure and feelings about it afterward. Period. Proven fact...again.

7. I love chocolate cake and coffee and I really need some even though my brown skirt is not fitting so well after 2 months of daily desserts :(

8. I miss my best friend and husband of 29 years....I love you Hon.

9. I am in need of retail therapy and I am not even a spender. I get the feeling #7 and #9 indicate stress....what do you think?

10. I don't think I am ever going home as another neurosurgical surgery is in my immediate future......sigh.

11. Ronald McDonald House of Long Island is awesome, wonderful, comfy, beautiful, friendly, our blessed home away from home.

12. My son just asked if I liked dogs or cats better......dogs I guess. He said cats.

13. We have watched too much T.V. when my son says we need an automatic ear wax getter-outter for $19.95.

14.  I am thrilled about the new Pope!!  He is just amazing I think. The kids think so too.

15. I have wonderful children. The 20 yr old sent a great sweatshirt to the 15 yr old (who is here in NYC with me) that says Just Draw It. He's our artist.  He loves it. That's men bonding from 3,000 miles away.

16.  I miss my big kids.

17.  I miss my kitchen.

18.  I am thankful God is present in all the hard and fun things we have done on this medical trip.

19. I love being Catholic. I love that I was Protestant because I still love the traditional Protestant hymns. If you are Catholic be a good Catholic. If you are Protestant be a good Protestant. If you are Muslim, be a good Muslim and so on......  Just Be A Good One...whatever you are.

20. I love our neurosurgeon. He is crazy and holy.

21. I love the people at Ronald McDonald House who have sick kids....they get it.

22. I want to make my homemade spaghetti sauce but can't bring red wine into the House. Poo.

23.  I wish I could still ride horses.....I dearly love horses.

24. Are you bored yet? Because it's boring to read about one person for this long. Sorry.

25.  I want to plant my garden RIGHT NOW.  Dirt, seeds, fertilizer.......sniff, sniff.

26.  I'm done now I think.

27. I don't think I am ever going home. I think I already said that.

28. I love being the mother of a huge family.

29. I am thankful our children do not have all the newest and best "stuff"....it isn't pretty out there.

30.  Pray, sacrifice, do good, listen to others instead of talking about yourself......uh-oh.

31.  See ya.

~Lisa~

2 comments:

  1. If your going to be there though Easter ,BOOO Let me know because we will put together a goody box for everyone.
    Somedays you just have to make a list of the thankfuls to forget about the icky's-LOL I know I am so great with my words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know, you're the BEST!! And you ARE good with words :)

    ReplyDelete